There is an urgent need for clean water, sanitation, and hygiene in schools and communities around the world.
Consider these facts:
- Women and children in many communities spend up to 60 percent of each day walking to collect water.
- 4,500 children die every day from preventable diseases related to a lack of access to clean water, adequate sanitation and hygiene.
- Without access to a latrine, many girls stop going to school once they reach puberty.
- In Africa, more than a quarter of the population spends more than 30 minutes, sometimes up to 6 hours, walking 3.75 miles just to collect enough water for the day.
- Over 80% of the disease in developing countries is related to poor drinking water and sanitation.
Visit the Grade 5 Hands-on Investigation Module of the TMA BlueTech Curriculum to see curriculum connections.